Have you ever been moved by a powerful story? Maybe you’ve been scrolling on social media, seen some poorly done infographics, and cringed. Now is your chance to bring your personality, perspective, and flair to NH Youth Movement’s communications team!
We are searching for a full-time Communications Organizer to help our team build powerful narratives that move politicians and the public to take action on the issues that define our generation. This role is an opportunity to develop impactful stories both online and offline, engage volunteers, and communicate with the members of a powerful youth movement. This is a chance to grow as a communicator and tell the stories necessary to transform our political system.
Do you live on Twitter? Do you have an eye for aesthetics? We’re looking for a young person to join us in developing NHYM’s public-facing media strategy and personality, so don’t hesitate to apply!
About New Hampshire Youth Movement
New Hampshire Youth Movement is a movement of young people transforming our political system so it serves, and is led by, the people it’s left behind. We are an entirely youth-led, decentralized, intersectional, grassroots organization building and leveraging youth power in and outside of electoral organizing across NH.
Our Ideal Candidate
An ideal candidate is eager to work on a combination of the responsibilities listed below, based on their interests and skill sets. They have a stake in winning collective liberation for all Granite Staters and a commitment to justice, equity, and anti-oppression work. The ideal candidate is excited to understand the political landscape in New Hampshire. They will be a key part of a Communications team that works closely with the Organizing and Political Departments at NHYM.
This position is perfect for someone who is interested in developing their communications skills. You’ll have plenty of opportunities to put your skills to work and have a lot of input and creative control over the direction of the organization’s content and public persona.
This position will be managed by the Deputy Communications Director.
The Communications Organizer will have these responsibilities within their role with the opportunity to take on more responsibilities and ownership as they grow.
The Communications Organizer can expect to work on things like:
- Social Media
- Admin and Coordination
Be the voice of our movement; help craft the lens through which people understand our work.
- Maintain press relationships
- Track and uplift press hits
- Maintain a press contact list
- Review blog submissions
- Recruit blog contributors
- Draft blog posts
- Send weekly emails
- Collaborate with the Data Organizer on email targeting and lists
- Develop monthly newsletters
Cultivate and maintain the public-facing image of our movement.
- Assist with the development of NHYM social media channels
- Help engage our direct audience and the broader audience (through hashtags like #NHPolitics) on our various social media platforms by replying to tweets and comments, quote tweeting, responding to DMs, etc.
- Simple graphic design (using Canva)
- Assisting with social media messaging (captions, scripts, alt text)
- Maintain a social media calendar by collaborating with the rest of the Comms Department on content
Admin and Coordination
Collaborate with other departments to provide support for internal development and planning.
- Provide operational and administrative support for the planning and execution of events, trainings, and other organizing needs
- Assist in the development of internal toolkits and resources for staff and volunteer use
Priority Skills, Attitudes, and Experiences
We are looking for someone with the following:
- Communications experience, whether in a professional, volunteer, or personal capacity. Could include: social media content creation; messaging strategy; writing blogs, emails, or press releases; talking with press; etc.
- Confidence in framing and messaging progressive issues so they resonate with the public (you will receive help with this)
- The desire to learn more about communications and its place in organizing spaces
- The ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- A desire to use communications tactics to further the mission of NHYM and the movement as a whole
- Strong commitment to racial, gender, and economic justice and their intersections, both inside and outside the organization
Other Skills, Attitudes, and Experiences
It would be nice (but not required) if you had:
- Experience creating content for TikTok
- Experience with Sprout, Canva, and other social media management or graphic design tools
- Experience organizing and coordinating in-person and virtual events
- Prior organizing experience through campaign, electoral, community organizing, or advocacy work
- Knowledge of the NH political ecosystem
Compensation and Commitment
- This is a full-time position (35-40 hours per week on average).
- This is a salaried position, with annual raises and quarterly bonuses. The salary range for this role is $42,000 to $45,000. Salaries are determined using NHYM’s salary assessment process, which accounts for previous experience, time with the organization, and nature of the role to make additions to the base salary. You can expect a salary within these ranges after completing the salary assessment.
- This position starts with an in-person onboarding in NH the week of May 30-June 2. We are looking for someone to ideally commit to long-term employment.
- This position has benefits including:
- 20 holidays/year
- 10 paid vacation days
- Unlimited personal time
- Full health, dental, and vision insurance (at little or no premium cost to you)
- Gas reimbursement
- Access to a technology and wellness fund
- This is place-based work in NH. We are looking for someone who currently lives in, or plans to move to, New Hampshire.
How to Apply
Any questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
More information about NHYM can be found at: nhyouthmovement.org.APPLY NOW!
NHYM is an equal opportunity, anti-oppressive employer. We are committed to centering leaders of marginalized identities. Working class people; Black, Indigenous, & people of color; members of the LGBTQIAP+ community; people with disabilities; previously incarcerated people; and people under 35 are all highly encouraged to apply. Don’t feel discouraged by lack of professional experience in the listed qualifications; NYHM values lived experience and works to create a positive work environment that encourages growth.